“Terrence has a unique capacity to ignite a lot of energy and push others relentlessly to perform,
without ever sacrificing a contagious feeling of good humor and enthusiasm.”
–Richard Foos, CEO, Shout Factory; former CEO, Rhino Entertainment
The Colburn School, Los Angeles
A board retreat with a focus on communication and storytelling.
“Thanks so much for facilitating a stimulating, fast-paced and successful retreat.
Your “story” presentation was a big hit and resonated on multiple levels.
I received positive feedback from every one.”
–Wendy Kelman, Chair of the Board of Directors
The Climate Registry, Los Angeles
A staff retreat with a strategic focus on vision, niche, and planning.
“We needed someone from outside to help us move the ball forward.
You did that as well as anyone could have!”
–Diane Wittenberg, Executive Director
Communications Consulting: Writing, Editing, Messaging, etc.
If you have questions about your vision or mission, your message, your core stories, or how to best express or deliver any of these – we can create together an approach to my consulting, coaching or collaborating that works for your needs and resources.
After the storytelling workshop, some clients send me stories for additional feedback. Others have realized that, in addition to building their staff skills, they could benefit from my assistance in producing a specific communications tool or product. In such cases, I might work with them to “perfect” one or a few of their stories; going beyond feedback to editing or even doing the actual writing for the client.
Others realize that the single most important communications task before them is to craft their essential message. I can work with key staff to develop your message or overall narrative, as well as a number of stories with which to express it.
If you wish to pull together a number of stories that represent your values and history, as well as individual client and staff successes, I can work with you as an editor.
I consult and coach personal presentation at all levels – to strengthen both internal and external communications, from one-on-one and internal meetings, to public speaking, radio and television.
BOARD and STAFF RETREATS, STRATEGIC PLANNING, CONFLICT RESOLUTION
My mission: to strengthen the capacity of an organization and its individuals through clearer directions and shared objectives, stronger internal and external communications, more effective meetings, more successful working teams, clear, concrete, implementable action plans, and a greater sense of engagement and ownership by all involved.
Facilitated meetings, workshops and retreats
Based on in-depth collaborative review and assessment, I lead strongly facilitated meetings, workshops and retreats, in which we clarify visions, issues and objectives, and through lively and challenging creative dialogue, develop action plans to achieve desired outcomes. In the process, we build healthy relationships and teams, and a culture of engagement, learning, and mutual respect.
This is a two or three step process, and can be employed to deal with general organizational capacity or with specific issues or questions.
(1) I interview key players in an organization’s internal and external environments to benchmark and scan for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
(2) I then produce a summary report including findings and recommendations.
(2a) I can also produce condensed interview transcripts, if desired.
(3) Ideally — I then facilitate a retreat in which we grapple with the information, agree on objectives, and develop an actionable implementation plan.
OBSERVATIONS ON MY WORKING PHILOSOPHY and STYLE
When facilitating a meeting or moderating a panel
• It is my intention (a) that all participants express themselves with as much clarity as possible, (b) that all listen in such a way that everyone feels heard, and (c) that something new emerge from the mutual engagement. Ideally I want the participants to share my aims, and both the participants and the members of the audience to leave with more than they came with – that together we create some new understanding, perspective, or synthesis.
When facilitating a meeting or conflict resolution
• I invite, cultivate and model respect, productive listening, and a willingness to view all parties and their respective energies and points of view as elements of a larger dynamic whole around which we are engaged.
• I assist people in clarifying what they themselves are thinking, feeling or communicating; and assist them to understand and to communicate with others.
• I synthesize and express what is being communicated so that those engaged are more likely to achieve clarity and understanding, and are therefore more able to make choices.
• I listen, communicate, facilitate and direct in such a way that a healthy balance of attention and energy is maintained between process issues and task accomplishment.
• In dealing with conflict, I look for the perspective from which ‘opponents’ can be seen to be on the same side — the side of the project, the organization, the mission, etc. From this perspective, conflict can become a dynamic process of articulation, clarification, investigation, education, synthesis and resolution.
• In instances where certain points of conflict (or those who hold them) seem intractable, it becomes even more important to shift the participants to a ‘same side’ perspective. From there, I work to engage their capacity to represent ends rather than means, and to act in behalf of a greater good.
• I experience people as willing to work together, but consistently hindered by habits of personality and culture. It is one of my roles to provide them access to the vision that enables them to see through the habits, reflexes and biases which entrap them and restrict their ability to move.
Terrence handled a complex institutional issue – one with both internal and external elements – with sensitivity, optimism, and creativity, and he did so in a manner that ultimately generated the support and buy-in of everyone involved. He demonstrated an extraordinary ability as a facilitator – energetic, articulate, humorous, and supportive – and led two days of exhaustive and exhausting meetings that resulted in an action plan that was promptly approved and funded by NRDC management. The plan has since been implemented successfully, resulting already in significant benefits to NRDC and potential ultimately even to exceed our original goals.
— Joel Reynolds, Senior Director, Natural Resources Defense Council
Since the Retreat the Board members and the new Executive Director are more fired up, more committed and more determined to achieve our goals than at any other time since I’ve been involved in the organization. I credit the experience Terrence created for us as being the reason why.
– Robert Israel, Board Director, A Place Called Home
We now have a powerhouse Board that is working with us for more positive results. I’m not sure how this retreat would have gone without your initiative, guidance, perception, vision and follow-through. But, I do know that with you, my dream of an interactive Board of Directors came true!
— Thyonne Gordon, Executive Director, A Place Called Home
Terrence demonstrates particular excellence as a facilitator – articulate, fair, flexible, confident, intuitive and humorous. His personal energy and stamina is remarkable. He is able to command attention and participation, keep the group focused, and continually clarify communication and understanding. By the end of every meeting, he is able to generate action plans and assign responsibilities. He has a unique capacity to ignite a lot of energy and push others relentlessly to perform, without ever sacrificing a contagious feeling of good humor and enthusiasm.
The Southern California office of Business for Social Responsibility retained Terrence to facilitate a number of our most important and difficult steering committee meetings. In this work he demonstrated similar skills and gifts as in his work with Rhino. Because the steering committee was an ad hoc group of individual heads of companies, his contributions in terms of direction, focus, and ‘management’ in these meetings was particularly crucial. He also demonstrated a keen ability to elicit what needed to be said to bring underlying conflicts to the surface and the wisdom to resolve these with sensitivity, clarity and creativity. That he could do so owed to his ability to inspire trust from all concerned.
– Richard Foos, CEO, Shout Factory; former CEO, Rhino Entertainment
A PLACE CALLED HOME, Los Angeles CA
AMERICAN OCEANS CAMPAIGN, Los Angeles CA
AMERICANS for a SAFE FUTURE, Los Angeles CA
ATLANTIC PHILANTHROPIES, New York NY
BIOBALANCE INTERNATIONAL (Nutritional Supplements), Los Angeles CA
BUSINESS FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Los Angeles CA
CALIFORNIA EPA, Sacramento CA
CITY OF LOS ANGELES
CLARE FOUNDATION, Santa Monica CA
THE CLIMATE REGISTRY, Los Angeles CA
CODEBLACK ENTERTAINMENT, Los Angeles CA
THE COLBURN SCHOOL, Los Angeles CA
COMMUNITY FORESTRY ADVISORY COMMITTEE, Los Angeles CA
ENVIRONMENT NOW, Los Angeles CA
ENVIRONMENTAL MEDIA ASSOCIATION, Los Angeles CA
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY, Washington DC
FRIENDS of the CHILDREN, Philadelphia PA
GLOBAL GREEN USA, Santa Monica CA
HEAL THE BAY, Santa Monica CA
IRVINE FOUNDATION, San Francisco CA
LAUFER/GREEN/ISAACS PUBLIC RELATIONS, Santa Monica CA
LEADERSHIP RESEARCH INSTITUTE, Middletown, CT
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS, Los Angeles CA
LOS ANGELES COUNTY
LOS ANGELES NEIGHBORHOOD INITIATIVE
MEGACITIES (Kellogg Foundation), Los Angeles CA
METAL FINISHING ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, Los Angeles CA
NATIONAL OCEANOGRAPHIC and ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION, Washington DC
NATIONAL WOOD TURNING CENTER, Philadelphia PA
NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL, New York NY
NON PROFIT FINANCE FUND, New York NY
PLANET CENTRAL (Media), Los Angeles CA
REDEFINING PROGRESS, Oakland CA
RHINO ENTERTAINMENT, Santa Monica CA
SAN DIEGO BAYKEEPER, San Diego CA
SNAP (SPECIAL NEEDS ADVOCATES FOR PARENTS), Los Angeles CA
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT, Diamond Bar CA
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COUNCIL on ENVIRONMENT & DEVELOPMENT, Los Angeles CA
THINK EARTH FOUNDATION, Los Angeles CA
TOGETHER GREEN Collaboration of Audubon Society & Toyota, New York NY
TREE PEOPLE, Los Angeles CA
UNION OF CONCERNED SCIENTISTS, Cambridge MA